• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question about a 501 C

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adanc3rsmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are new studio owners. Recently, a group of parents decided to form a non profit booster club. They are in the process of obtaining their non profit status. They held a membership drive and have been doing fundraisers... telling the parents that the booster club was going to pay everyone's national's convention fee.

Well, here we are. We call our fees for Nationals due on May 1. The convention that we are attending is filling up sooner than expected... so I registered early and paid the fees. Now our booster club is demanding that I, the owner of the studio, contact the convention and ask them to send me a refund of what I paid them so that the booster club can pay the convention directly. The booster club is saying that they cannot may a payment to the studio to cover the fees for the dancers... that they can only pay the convention.

I really do not want to share this type of drama with a convention... and would prefer to leave the payment situation alone. Why can't the booster club pay the studio for the fees... it does, after all, help ALL of the dancers... we would give the booster club a receipt... we, as the studio take on the tax burden of the payment... but would offset it by the payment we make to the convention.

Help. I am confused.

Just for the record, the owners of the dance studio are not members of the booster club. The booster club is also saying they cannot pay each of the dancers directly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">