• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about handicap parking regulations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay968

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a manager of a store that is part of a strip mall. I have no jurisdiction at all over anything outside my store, not the outside of the building, not the parking lot, nothing. The parking lot is owned by the landlord and managed by the mgt company.

Today a person came in complaining that a non handicapped employee of mine parked in a handicapped spot at the side of the building. First off, it is no longer a handicapped spot, and does not have any signs designating it as such. All that remains is a very faded ground painted handicapped symbol which was just never fully painted over by the managements company. There ARE handicapped spaces out in front of the store in full compliance.

She is saying that we are in vilolation for allowing employees to park in the old space. I told her three things,...
1 - I have no jurisdiction over the parking lot and that it is the mgt company's responsibity.
2 - There are handicapped spots in front of the store even closer to our entrance way which are in full compliance.
3 - The spaces which she is referring to are no longer handicap spots and have no upright signs designating them as such.

She is threatening legal action claiming that it IS our responsibility and it is our responsibility to pressure the mgt company to make sure no employee parks in those old spots. She is saying that since there is a symbol there (again, it's quite faded), they are indeed handicap spots. She is also saying that we have a responsibilty to provide a handicapped spot for every 9 parking spaces in the entire parking lot (which holds about 400 or so cars).

I told her that I sent an email to the mgt company with her complaint and suggested that the mgt company may want to paint over the old faded symbols so as to avoid any further confusion.

Does her claim have any validity?

Thanks

Last edited:

justalayman

next time tell the overly concerned customer to call the police so they can issue a ticket. Of course, if the space is not properly marked it is not a HC space but hopefully the guy making all the noise will get told that by the police.

CdwJava

You can also point this out to the property management company as it is ultimately their issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">