• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about noncompetes and potential lawsuits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clumpy

State: Utah

My friend's been working in a particular tech-oriented customer service field for some time under three separate companies, and been pretty sick of working under others. He decided to get me and a couple of other people involved in starting a similar company, and we've been going through our business plan, getting domains registered, getting approved with a merchant services provider (to which we're probably ready for service in a few days), and buying a few initial ads to do some research of which channels seem to pull people in. We haven't actually started taking any customers yet, and haven't had any sales. He was planning on giving his two weeks' notice, then beginning to take calls and sales once all of our infrastructure was in place.

Today my friend got fired at his current employer for starting another company while working for them, in violation of his noncompete contract. Now we'd already done some research on whether the noncompete was going to be a problem, and we know that noncompetes are rarely enforced in our state (Utah, a right to work state) unless there's some evidence of the use of trade secrets, customer or employee poaching, or a specific geographic overlap. We've taken none of those things from any other company, and service the continental United States (the same scope as the other companies but too broad a region to be considered a real overlap).

What we're wondering is: Is there a chance of some sort of legal action in this case? We know that his employer sued a former employee once before for starting another company, but that the lawsuit apparently folded because that business went under. From what I've read online, preparing to compete is fine while you're working somewhere, as nobody expects people to quit their job until they have something else lined up, whether it's a new venture or another line of work. But could the company make the case that we were already competing with them, if we've processed precisely $0 in transactions, having had absolutely no sales with customers or financial transactions whatsoever? The only real communication we've had with the public so far is our website, some social network accounts with no posts, and a few ads (mainly for research purposes, as we don't have the PBX calling system or merchant solutions account to provide these services for a few days, and wouldn't have been using them until shortly after he quit). My friend had no plans to begin working for our LLC doing actual work with customers until all of our service partnerships and services were ready, and we're being careful not to emulate any aspect of the business plan, trade secrets, or assets of his former company/companies, or poach any customers or employees along the way. I figured I'd ask here first as he's talking about selling us his ownership and leaving so that the rest of us don't get into trouble, and I want to be able to reassure him that such a drastic action isn't necessary.

quincy

State: Utah

... What we're wondering is: Is there a chance of some sort of legal action in this case? ...
Yes, there is a chance of some sort of legal action in this case. I would review all contracts, and the non-compete clauses in particular, with an attorney in your area, prior to startup. You do not want to start your new business with a lawsuit.

Edit to add:

Here is a link with information you might find helpful, Clumpy. It is a paper written by Carolyn Cox and published in the B.Y.U. Journal of Public Law. Although it is from 1997 and the laws might have changed somewhat over the years, it gives you a pretty good look at what courts in Utah have looked at when disputes arise over non-compete agreements.

The title of the paper is, "Covenants Not to Compete in Utah: A Useful Tool for Employers." I think it might also be a useful tool for employees. :)

http://digitalcommons.law.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1232&context=jpl

Last edited:

Clumpy

Thanks! That correlates pretty well with most of what I found online while doing this research, but I was never able to find it anywhere laid out in so much detail.

The company is known to be a bit of a bully and did in fact just e-mail my friend threatening to take legal action if he didn't fold the company immediately. His contract is ridiculously restrictive and clearly only intended to prevent competition, so we're going to do a free 15-minute consultation with a reputable attorney and see if I'm right that his contract isn't acceptable in that it doesn't protect a legitimate interest of the employer in any of the ways which are defined in your document.

quincy

Thanks! That correlates pretty well with most of what I found online while doing this research, but I was never able to find it anywhere laid out in so much detail.

The company is known to be a bit of a bully and did in fact just e-mail my friend threatening to take legal action if he didn't fold the company immediately. His contract is ridiculously restrictive and clearly only intended to prevent competition, so we're going to do a free 15-minute consultation with a reputable attorney and see if I'm right that his contract isn't acceptable in that it doesn't protect a legitimate interest of the employer in any of the ways which are defined in your document.
I think you are smart to discuss the non-compete clauses with an attorney in your area.

From what you have posted about your new company and from what I read about Utah and non-compete agreements, it sounds to me as if the non-competes from the former companies would be difficult to enforce. But, unfortunately, that does not prevent a company from trying to enforce the contract anyway, through a court action if necessary. And the company may find it necessary if intimidation (or bullying) does not work.

I wish you good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">