• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding obtaining a contractor's license in California.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CashPlease

So the California State Licensing Board wants you to have at least 4 years of experience in the trade you are attempting to get licensed for. I have done a little reading on the California Business and Professions code to try to understand what kind of experience I might be able to get that is usable as experience towards a license.

I have read that any job that totals in a cost less than 500 dollars does not require a contractor's license. What I am unclear on is whether such work performed is usable work experience, if it is in fact at least part of the type of work defined in the description of the license. If so I am looking at sending in a fairly large stack of paperwork describing about 3 years of this type of work, and only 1 that shows a duration in which I performed the other higher priced jobs legally while employed by another contractor. I am curious if a split like that is regarded as adequate for a license.

Does anyone know if this might work for me?

CashPlease

To obtain up to date information, you should request it from the licensing board or visit their web site.
I did that and the implied answer by what is there is that what I have is adequate, but since it's 300 dollars just to send in the application, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows from experience.

sandyclaus

I did that and the implied answer by what is there is that what I have is adequate, but since it's 300 dollars just to send in the application, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows from experience.
Then what you have isn't a legal question.

Not many of our board members here are CA licensed contractors (none, that I am personally aware of), so I doubt you'll get your answer here.

Sorry.

OHRoadwarrior

As I recollect from your thread, you never specifically said what type of contracting you did or would have needed a license for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">