• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questioning the founding partner in my LLC...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divergent

What options are available in a three-way equal partnership when it becomes clear one of the partners is damaging the growth of the business? While hugely successful in a social capacity as a brand, my business is in financial ruin. I've personally been bankrolling the entire operation with my own money and equipment in order to keep it alive. The founding partner does not see eye-to-eye with the rest of the team, refuses outside funding, stubborn, complains constantly, treats the other partners like unpaid employees, abused (see also: stole) $1500 from the company account, and has become nearly impossible to work with. He had a great business concept, but no vision on how to monetize and operate functionally. We are in talks of a merger with our biggest competitor who has seen financial success, but he's fighting it.

I wish I could just buy him out, but he would never sell. Very much "it's the principle of the matter!" kind of person and would rather let the business fail than give up control of the brand. I've invested $10k+ into the business so far, plus time, labor, and talent, and all of the equipment belongs to me. I can't keep funding everything, but if I stop we'll be bankrupt. I... don't know what to do.

OHRoadwarrior

With all due respect to your funding contributions, as you noted, it is his company, unless others hold a controlling interest.

OHRoadwarrior

"his company?"

Ownership is divided 33%/33%/34%. I am an equal owner and our third partner/owner agrees with my direction.
Then you should have ensured a majority vote also during the incorporation. The majority of voting stock controls. It can be sold and the original owner fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">