• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Raising Capital from family for S Corp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bctiger

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I have just formed an S-Corp and filed form 2553 showing me as 100%. I am now going to need to raise capital from family members and want to do so through stock issuance that I will buy back ASAP. I have looked on the Secretary of State website not to find anything very helpful. Can someone give me advice on what steps I need to take. Do I need to file anything with the state, or do I just need to issue stock certificates to my family members? My main goal is to make sure that everything is documented, so in the event that I was not able to repay, they would be able to take the tax deduction.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

oldman9

Do I need to file anything with the state, or do I just need to issue stock certificates to my family members?
Filing requirements may vary from state to state. If this is a privately held corp, it's unlikely that you have to list the stockholders.

so in the event that I was not able to repay, they would be able to take the tax deduction.
Check with your CPA. The stockholders may not be able to claim deduction for a failed private company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">