• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund check in the mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alan Hills

Recently I received a bill from a company that I do business with. I knew that my account was paid in full, so I call to inquire about the charge. I was told by their representative that the charge was from a refund check that they mistakenly send to me. I cannot remember if I cashed the check and cannot find it, or I would send it back.

My question is....Legally, was it not their mistake for sending me a refund and do I actually owe them money?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan Hills:
Recently I received a bill from a company that I do business with. I knew that my account was paid in full, so I call to inquire about the charge. I was told by their representative that the charge was from a refund check that they mistakenly send to me. I cannot remember if I cashed the check and cannot find it, or I would send it back.

My question is....Legally, was it not their mistake for sending me a refund and do I actually owe them money?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do business with them, is it not good business practice to be honest. Have then send you a copy of their cancelled check proving that you indeed cashed it. If it was an honest mistake why screw them out of their money. Their computer could have been responsible.
Hey, maybe you can do this to the IRS also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">