• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund for overcharge on property taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I need advice..I am in Texas. I just recently discovered that the County/school and city has been overtaxing my home based on the actual square footage, and value by over 600 feet, since 1982! I appealed and they re-measured and corrected the error, for next years appraised value. I asked for a refund of back taxes overpaid and they told me .."NO refunds unless it is a "clerical" error." So what is it, when they estimate the sq. footage wrong? What type of "error" do they consider that? Poor judgement??? Should I get a lawyer? They have put a tax lien on my house for the unpaid taxes for 1999, that I assumed would be corrected. They said, NO, it would only apply to taxes for 2000.
Help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">