• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keeshy2

How long should a person give a company to issue a refund?
I joined a club here in Virginia and authorized monthly dues to be taken out of my account over the course of a year for the 3-year membership. They deducted too much, and I caught their error. I was told I would receive a refund since it was their error, but now I feel like they are dragging their feet on returning this $$$ to me. I was originally told the refund would be issued in 30 days, then it was 45 days, now they will not take my phone calls. It's less than $200, but I'd still like it back as it's not earning ME any interest in THEIR bank account.

T

Tracey

Sue them in small claims court for theft fo the money they improperly took, + the interest you would have collected if they'd returned your money in 3 business days. Request punitive damages if the small claims court can award them. Your costs will be added to the judgment automatically. If you're really ticked, file a criminal complaint against them for "exerting unauthorized control over the property of another." (Theft)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">