• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A relationship and partnership gone bad!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Susan Wirsig

What is the name of your state? kansas
i went into business with my fiance. i put $20,000 into a music store that we planned on running together. me part time him full time. after the store was together and opened, he took my keys, opened a sole checking account fro the business, and left me. he has invested time into the store adn no more. he put the business lisence in his name only as well as the lease. he closes the store when he feel like it for days at a time and i am paying on the loans and credit cards that were used to open the store. he plans on re-locating (he does not know i know that) i think i will be left here holding the bag financially and he will leave the state with all of the music equipment and etc. what can i do to ensure i will not wake up some day and he will have disapeared with everything? i would like to liquidate, count my losses and move on. i need to get an attorney but i need some advice as to this first.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Judges really dislike unraveling the "dealings" of two people in a boyfriend / girlfriend relationship. That's because the "dynamics" of any business relationship is directly related to the "love" relationship - - as opposed to just two people who have nothing more than a business relationship, and a contract between the two of them concerning the business.

That's another reason why people get married, because the laws of each State have "marital division of property" laws; e.g., community property division or equitable distribution of property. In your case, you don't have a written contract, nor a marital relationship, to protect you.

So, my guess is that your former fiancé will defend against any lawsuit of yours by saying that your monetary contribution to the business was a "gift" to him, and that you had no interest in, and were never intended to have, a business relationship to the music store.

And, by the way, don't be too surprised if your attorney's fees that you'll be paying come very close to, or equal, the amount of your investment in the store. And, on top of that, there's no guarantee you'll win any lawsuit either - - thus, you could very well be stuck with the loss of your investment, and an equal amount of attorney's fees.

So, it's your choice. Next time, make sure you have a ring on your finger, and a Marriage Certificate in your "safe deposit box".

Good luck. You're going to need it.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">