• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

required personal info for merchandise return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

salante

upon making a return at a local retail store I was told I was required to supply the following information: name,address,phone number and drivers license. Prior to the sales transaction I asked what the return policy was and was informed that I would need the receipt and the return must be made within seven days. This was a cash sale.
I felt this was TOO much personal information,especially a drivers license,for a simple retail return.
Am I really obgilated to supply this much personal info? Did the retailer infringe upon my legal rights as a consumer?

ALawyer

If you want to "make a Federal case out of it" you've come to the wrong place. Life's too short.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by salante:
upon making a return at a local retail
store I was told I was required to supply
the following information:
name,address,phone number and drivers
license. Prior to the sales transaction I
asked what the return policy was and was
informed that I would need the receipt
and the return must be made within seven
days. This was a cash sale.
I felt this was TOO much personal
information,especially a drivers
license,for a simple retail return.
Am I really obgilated to supply this
much personal info? Did the retailer
infringe upon my legal rights as a
consumer?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If those requirements were actually this retail stores' return policy then the store just followed company policy. It does sound like the store required a lot of personal information but many do as a security measure. There have been cases where the merchandise was stolen or shoplifted and the required information was used to catch the criminals. Other cases include buying an item for cash, then going back into the store with just the receipt and taking another duplicate item then presenting it to the cashier for a full cash refund.

You are not obligated to provide the required information to the store and the store in return is not obligated to give you a refund. Check with your State Consumer Protection Office as there may a requirment that the store merchandise refund and return policy be spelled out and posted in a conspicuous location such as near the cash register. If the store asks to see a major charge card or your Social Security number in order to give you a cash refund that is an invasion of privacy and prohibited.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited May 27, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">