• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retailer back-charging

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prop6688

NJ
I did work for a tile store as an independant contractor. I got into an argument with the store owner about a customer. He told me to leave. I never billed him for a weeks worth of work because I had a balance with him for materials I purchased and we broke even. Almost 2 months later, I received a bill from store owner in the mail for 3 jobs that were replaced by another sub for double and triple the price. One of the two jobs i went back and fixed, before I was told to leave, turned out to be totally replaced. The second job, I brought to customer attention, I miss cut a piece and instead of trying to hide it I told her I would replace it, no charge at all to her. She said fine its no big deal, do it when you can. Third job they told me to do a certain step in installation that I didn't think would be right, but they charged customer for it, so I had to do it. I was given the okay by the store that if there was a problem, I shouldn't worry about it. Conveniently now there's a prob. I wouldn't have had a problem paying for material which was about $300.00 for all jobs, but why should I pay triple for someone else's labor $1,700. I was never informed that the job was going to be replaced or when and even given the opportunity to replace it. To top it off he charged me sales tax on top of labor and material. Does any of this seem right? I never signed anything with the store, no contract, nothing. Can I now go back a bill him for the 1 weeks worth of work as per my price of labor? Some of the work I did was prep which is billed at my descretion as needed. Could I say $300 an hour. They took it upon themselves to write my bill as to what they think it should be and deducted it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

B

BB_Wolfe

Yes you can bill him
Yes they can bill you PLUS tax and at whatever rate they want.

Why?

You had nothing in writing.

Next time, don't be such a sucker and get something in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">