• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

S-Corp Felony Conviction??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frigglesworth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois

I have a felony coniction from 2 years ago. I applied to start an S-Corp with the state of Illinois. The nature of my business is a web solutions company (I know a lot of great graphic designers and web developers). Since the nature of my business is a technology company I am NOT applying for special permits like alcohol licenses etc. I was wondering if a felony conviction affects your application for an S-Corp. Also, do they do background checks for S-Corp applications or LLCs? My friend's friend who is a CPA is handling the file work for me, and it would be embarrassing to have it come back rejected with all my legal offenses listed one by one for this CPA to see. So you can see the awkward situation I am in. Please any advice?

FlyingRon

I've never heard of a background check on corporation creation, nor do I have any idea why a felon would be denied the right to form, be an officer, or be a shareholder in a corporation.

However if you form the corporation purely to hide from personal liability, you may find that veil pierced.

Frigglesworth

no way man... mine was a fire arm conviction, and those days are behind me I hope :eek:.

ok so probation and felony conviction is ok? good to know thanks...

Frigglesworth

Oh wait... if I am on probation it's still probably ok? If they don't do background check than that's probably ok right?

Just curious, and trying to save myself an embarrassing explanation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">