• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

S Corp or Sole Proprietorship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BiziMo

Michigan. I currently have a home-based medical transcription business. I would like to leave my "day job" and run my business on a full-time basis. Because of self-employment taxes, withholding issues, health insurance, etc., should I consider an S corp or remain a sole proprietor?

Thank you.

L

loku

New business

If you are interested in protecting your personal assets from business debts and liabilities, you should consider either incorporating or forming a Limited Liability Company (LLC). If that is a factor, the LLC gives you the same protection and is easier to form and requires less formalities to run. If personal liability is not a factor, then it would be simpler to remain a sole proprietor.

See our material on Starting a Business at http://business-law.freeadvice.com/starting_a_business/.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">