• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

S Corp takes on new minority partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

repman5573

Texas, I have a s-Corp that was originally capitalized with $1000 with me being the sole owner. I did not issue a stock certificate at that time. The s-Corp did business under a d.b.a. for several years and then sold its assets. The Corp was idle for several years. Now I am starting another business concern and have established a new d.b.a. for the Corp. I want to bring in a near equal partner and increase the corporation’s capital. Specifically, I would like to increase the capitol to $10.000 and retain majority ownership.

I was thinking the best way to accomplish this would be the Corp could issue 1000 shares to me for the $1000 I had originally paid in, and sell another 4,001 shares of stock at $1 par value to me, and 4999 shares to my partner? In the end I would own 5001 shares and he would own 4999.

1) Is there anything wrong with this approach?
2) Do I need a lawyer to make the issuing of stock legal?
3) Or, is there a better way to accomplish this?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">