• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

S corporation shares

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

appleseed

What is the name of your state? NY
I own shares in an S-corp. The shareholder's agreement includes a clause that shares may only be willed to family by blood or marriage. I wonder which is legally upheld if I will the shares to a non family member...The will or the shareholder's agreement? I did sign off on the shareholder's agreement when I received the shares.

Thanks

If you signed the shareholders agreement, any action you take that violates that agreement would be void and you could be sued for breach of contract. If it says you can't will the shares to legal entity that is not tied to you by blood or marriage, then don't.

appleseed

thanks for the reply.....perhaps then I will suggest a revisit for the terms of the shareholder's agreement to the Board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">