• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Same name may jeopardize my business ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

borreman

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I own a dance studio named "Shine Dance Studio". I had to fire 1 of my employee 3 months ago, and she became VERY bitter about it threatening me and trying to ruin my business calling some of my customers. Now, that ex-employee is going to start her own dance studio 10 miles from mine and she named it "A Shine Above"... Do I have a right to sue her or force her to change the name of that new business ? It is obviously very close to my business name...

clueless3

Forget about it and move on. You will just spend a lot of money on lawyer fee for nothing.

Legally, within the same County, two businesses cannot operate with the exact same name; the other name is not exactly the same as yours, so it's legal, from the County point of view.

You can sue anyone for any reason, but to prove that the other name is infringing on yours is a little hard. The question is: How much do you plan on spending for lawyer fee, just to force the name change? (Of course it's even harder to sue for damages, let alone trying to collect that money.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">