• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Self-drafted Music Biz Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamesJ1

Hey guys,

I am in the process of drafting a music Production agreement between myself and a new artist I am working with. I cannot currently afford legal fees so am using clauses from a number of template contracts I've downloaded from the web.

I was wondering; is the agreement enforceable if we draft and sign the contract ourselves with no professional legal assistance? Another option would be to get just the artists lawyer to look over her part of the agreement as she has someone who will work at no initial cost.

If I do indeed require pro legal advice, what would be the cheapest way of doing this. How much would a Paralegal cost just to sign off on an already drafted contract?

many thanks,

PS, I am currently UK based

FlyingRon

The contract is enforceable if it meets the tenets of a contract without being otherwise illegal. Her lawyer can certainly look over a pre-drafted contract for HER interests. Of course, your interests are not his concern.

However, we can't address UK law, this is a US forum.

Try http://www.thelawforum.co.uk for UK advice.

Her lawyer can certainly look over a pre-drafted contract for HER interests. Of course, your interests are not his concern.
I just want to emphasize this part because it's very important to keep in mind if you decide to engage in contract negotiations with her attorney without consulting your own.

Also be wary of using templates. Most of the templates I've seen are terrible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">