• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a 50% liquor license (PA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gem68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hey folks. Writing here cause you all have been so helpful in the past.

Inherited a liquor license (operating bar) in 2011 when my father passed.

I currently want nothing to do with the bar and want to sell my share of the license. I just can't find much online about selling a partial/50% license and whether I need my sister (other 50%) to sign off on it first.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

FlyingRon

A Pennsy liquor license really doesn't have much value without the establishment that it's issued to. If there's a bar (or whatever) that you want to bundle in with it you might have a marketable commodity. However, nobody wants to buy into a partial ownership with a disinterested and unrelated partner. It would behoove you to convince your sister to either get together with you at marketing the thing as it's entirety or to have her buy out your interest if she is interested in retaining it.

gem68

A Pennsy liquor license really doesn't have much value without the establishment that it's issued to. If there's a bar (or whatever) that you want to bundle in with it you might have a marketable commodity. However, nobody wants to buy into a partial ownership with a disinterested and unrelated partner. It would behoove you to convince your sister to either get together with you at marketing the thing as it's entirety or to have her buy out your interest if she is interested in retaining it.

Thanks for your answer FlyingRon, unfortunately not what I was hoping to hear but I was expecting to hear it. I know our license is tied to every damn square foot of the establishment it covers. I'll talk to her about it, just wanted to know my rights beforehand.

For extra info - my mother owns the full property and we rent the bar space from her. I just don't want to be attached to it any longer and was hoping I could at least get something from it (she takes all revenues currently, I get nothing. Was what pops left us.). But I'll just have to sign it over to her probably, I just want to be released from it all.

Anyhow - happy New Year!!! :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">