• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Setting up a non-profit corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thenomad

What is the name of your state? California

There is a rise in the number of homeless dogs and cats in our Latino transient neighborhood lately. In the past 4 months, we, as the incurable animal lovers, had to provide help to 2 cats, one with feline leukemia and 3 dogs, one got hit by a truck in front of my eyes. And the total of these vet runs and trying to find them a place to live etc, easily exceeded a thousand dollars for us. We are not filthy rich by any means and if we could save the tax on these expenses we made, that would be really great. Also, we have a circle of animal lover friends and relatives, who have also contributed on top of this grand we spent without expecting a tax benefit but I am thinking, it is not fair to them either.

After the sob story, I have read a little bit about how to start a non-profit and make it able to receive tax deductible contributions from others. Everything is coming down to "incorporate and get a tax free status from the state and federal authorities" but nowhere I was able to find a run book of what to do first and how to proceed. I am sure there are many people who created non-profit inc.s for their cause. Can someone give me a quick list of how to proceed with this non-profit startup ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">