• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Setting Up A Street Vending Stand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PWaters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hello,

I am a student that is interested in setting up a small stand on a large sidewalk vending sunglasses and similar accessories and apparel. The spot where I want to set up is on a sidewalk along a large cobblestone street in a historic/business district of a city with a population of around 65,000. (It is a suburb of a much larger city). I am assuming that I can not simply set up my stand without any legal repercussions from the city or whoever might own the building behind me. I am not sure who technically owns the sidewalk either. Does anyone know where I could find this information? And if the sidewalk is owned by whoever owns the building behind it, would it be possible to make a contract/agreement with the landlord/owner? I can provide more, specific information if needed, just ask. Thanks for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hello,

I am a student that is interested in setting up a small stand on a large sidewalk vending sunglasses and similar accessories and apparel. The spot where I want to set up is on a sidewalk along a large cobblestone street in a historic/business district of a city with a population of around 65,000. (It is a suburb of a much larger city). I am assuming that I can not simply set up my stand without any legal repercussions from the city or whoever might own the building behind me. I am not sure who technically owns the sidewalk either. Does anyone know where I could find this information? And if the sidewalk is owned by whoever owns the building behind it, would it be possible to make a contract/agreement with the landlord/owner? I can provide more, specific information if needed, just ask. Thanks for your help!
Call city hall. Tell the operator what you've told us and they will direct you to the proper department.

FlyingRon

Yes you will almost certainly need some sort of permission from the local government. Depending on local custom and how the property boundaries are laid out you may or may not need permission of the property facing street where you want to set up. Right of ways for sidewalks and roads usually don't extend to people setting up shop on them.

Note in addition to all that, you'll need to collect and remit sales tax. See: http://dor.mo.gov/business/sales/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">