• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shady Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MidnightBlu3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Posting my company (small computer repair service) on craigslist, i get a customer from Panama City who writes me an email about how his network is down, and would like to send me a total of 8 laptops to be fixed for him. Receiving this email i was a little skeptical about taking the job due to the location the job was coming from, as well as this man never meeting me, hearing about my operations, and meeting me only from Craigslist.

I do not want to take this job if in fact these laptops could be stolen in anyway, but his email sounds quite convincing. Should i in fact ask for any legal documentation of his business?

Also if i do in fact take this job, would there be any legal re-precautions if in fact these laptops are quote: "Dirty"

Thank you.

racer72

It's a scam. If you accept the job, you will be sent a cashier's check that will be more than your bid to do the work. You will be instructed to cash the bogus check, keep your money and send the rest back to the sender, usually through Western Union. Instead of getting laptops to fix, you will get a letter from the bank demanding the return of all the money from the fake check. Tell the scumbag to pack sand.

CraigFL

And all I get are these people from NY trying to scam my business.... :)

But seriously, CL was set up for local transactions...

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Posting my company (small computer repair service) on craigslist, i get a customer from Panama City who writes me an email about how his network is down, and would like to send me a total of 8 laptops to be fixed for him. Receiving this email i was a little skeptical about taking the job due to the location the job was coming from, as well as this man never meeting me, hearing about my operations, and meeting me only from Craigslist.

I do not want to take this job if in fact these laptops could be stolen in anyway, but his email sounds quite convincing. Should i in fact ask for any legal documentation of his business?

Also if i do in fact take this job, would there be any legal re-precautions if in fact these laptops are quote: "Dirty"

Thank you.
**A: pass on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">