• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short-Term Consulting Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaelklein67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

I am likely going to take some work on as a consultant for some business people I know...to stem the tide of economy...I am under the assumption that I will need to form an LLC in order to handle this business short term, is that correct? I will have no other income coming in at this time, and my expenses would be simply materials required to handle this work (minimal cost). Most money entering business will be pure profit. I have been told that I should get a 1099 generated from the clients I work with and just report as personal income.

For a short-term business (say 6 to 12 months) should I be simplifying even more and not considering the LLC?

Thank you for your feedback.

The Lean Consultant :cool:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

I am likely going to take some work on as a consultant for some business people I know...to stem the tide of economy...I am under the assumption that I will need to form an LLC in order to handle this business short term, is that correct?

**A: no, you are free to work as an IC personally and not under a corporation, LLC or other business entity.

###############
I will have no other income coming in at this time, and my expenses would be simply materials required to handle this work (minimal cost). Most money entering business will be pure profit. I have been told that I should NOT get a 1099 generated from the clients I work with (not sure if that is really even a choice).

**A: wrong, any income to you should be documented by the client through a 1099 at the end of the year.

#############
For a short-term business (say 6 to 12 months) should I be simplifying even more and not considering the LLC?

Thank you for your feedback.

**A: see above

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">