• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Subpoena Service Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kenho21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

So, I'm starting my own process service business and I have a question. I'm serving a Summons and Complaint (to a law firm specifically) and the business I'm serving only has a place (another law firm) where they receive mail, but no one that actually works for the law firm is ever present there. Apparently this lawyer skipped town more than a year ago, but still receives mail to this law firm's address.

When serving a summons to the law firm, not the person, can I just leave it at the place where he receives his mail and consider him served?

FlyingRon

If you're going to pretend you are in the business of process service, you should be well aprised of Rule 2.105 in the Michigan Court Rules. It makes a difference if you are serving the attorney, a partnership, or a corporation (the term "law firm" could describe any of these). It tells you how to serve these entities and what to do, lets say, if a corporation fails to maintain a registered agent or other place service can be made.

Kenho21

If you're going to pretend you are in the business of process service, you should be well aprised of Rule 2.105 in the Michigan Court Rules. It makes a difference if you are serving the attorney, a partnership, or a corporation (the term "law firm" could describe any of these). It tells you how to serve these entities and what to do, lets say, if a corporation fails to maintain a registered agent or other place service can be made.
That's why I'm here because I'm looking for a little direction. The firm I'm serving is a PLLC. I'll look into the Court Rules you mentioned. Thanks

Kenho21

Since it doesn't look like I will be able to serve the summons, the law firm handling the case would generally be the one to send it via registered mail, correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">