• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single LLC / Multiple Internet Domains

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worthspending

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I would like to establish a single LLC and conduct business for several internet domains.

For example:
abc.com
def.com
ghi.com
jkl.com
mno.com

would all be run by MyCompany, LLC

Is this possible?? I would think the safest way to go would be to create an LLC for each domain. However, I really
do not have the funds to create individual LLC's for each domain at this time.

I was wondering if I could run each domain under MyCompany, LLC during a startup or probationary period and create
a specific LLC once the domain in question reaches the end of a probationary period or simply cannot generate a profit. Is this
an option?

If true, then, can I display a copyright(s) like:
(c) 2007 abc.com - MyCompany, LLC all rights reserved
(c) 2007 def.com - MyCompany, LLC all rights reserved

Also, must I obtain a DBA license or will the LLC be sufficient?

Thanks

FlyingRon

There's nothing that requires LLC's at all. There's nothing that says a company can't operate multiple domains (as long as they state who the are they don't need a DBA). For example, we have domains for each of our products, but they all list the company as OurCompany, Inc.
(not an LLC, but a publicly traded corporation).

TomD1974

What FlyingRon said.

Unfortunately, domain names are so loose as to be meaniningless, except for as to their use re:trademarks.

Back in the good old days, people cared about the use of domain names, and came up with the idea that you'd have to "use" each one to maintain the rights to its use.

Then someone woke up in the middle of the night and realized that it was techinically impossible to force people to use every registered domain name because there aren't enough unique IP addresses. So they just opened everything up and let anyone hoard domain names in bulk. So, in fact, now if you wish, you can have 500 domain names, or 5,000, and all under the same company.

But understand that registering domain names in bulk has very weak teeth, legally. You might, five years from now, want to use "abc123.com" (that you registered this year) for something. But if someone had been running a business with a name similar to that, not only could you not trademark it, but someone who owns the trademark, or similar, could wrench that very domain name from your grimey hands.

I advise people to do their research, and then do everything at once with respect to a single (maybe 2) domain name. To claim 20 of them in bulk with no regard to the big picture has almost no business benefit and only contributes to the problem.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">