• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tscoulombe

I co-signed on a car with me ex and he let it get repo's even when I asked him to let me have the car before it got to that point now my question is can I sue him for half of the cost of that car that is now on my credit plus can I sue him for the down payment on the car?
Terri ( Washington State )

JETX

Question: was he your 'ex' when you co-signed?

If so, then you probably can't sue since this was a 'joint debt'.

If not (and no 'legal' connection; i.e. you were a total 3rd party), then you can probably sue for your total damages. This is limited to the cost incurred as a result of his breach (not for the 'credit' hit).

As to the down payment, did you pay it or him? If he paid it from his funds, you are not damaged. If you paid it from your funds, then you MIGHT be able to sue him, but you would have to show that the down payment was a loan. Again, if from common funds, no can do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tscoulombe:
I co-signed on a car with me ex and he let it get repo's even when I asked him to let me have the car before it got to that point now my question is can I sue him for half of the cost of that car that is now on my credit plus can I sue him for the down payment on the car?
Terri ( Washington State )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">