• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small internet business liability insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monster

I have a question regarding liability and internet business.

I am in the process of starting an internet-based business where I offer health and fitness advice as well as exericse programs to people online. I am unsure of all the legal rammifications of giving this advice.

For instance, if somebody hurts themselves performing an exercise and they try to sue me for telling/advising them to do that exercise, will they be able to sue successfully even after agreeing to a detailed waiver form? Will a waiver hold up in court? I am starting this business in Illinois.

Thanks

ALawyer

Whether they can successfully recover or not, one of the main concerns should be legal costs. Having to defend is expensive.

As for the disclaimers, they often would work. But there are no guarantees.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

First make sure you are not engaging in the unauthorized practice of medicine, for which you need a license. Second, you may want visitors to be forced to agree to online agreement before getting into site. That agreement might say that they have been advised to consult with doctor before starting program and have either consulted doctor or elected not to do so. Etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">