• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole Proprietorship To LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cityscape1

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am in the process of cconverting from a sole proprietorship to a LLC. What forms do I need in oreder to accomplish this? Also, I want to add my wife into the LLC. How do I make her a partner within the LLC? Thank you for your help.

PepperLegal

Most states require you to file articles of organization, or a similar document to form the LLC. Typically these forms and processes can be found on your State's official website. You won't be actually "converting" from a sole proprietorship to an LLC, however - you'll just be forming a brand new corporate entity.

Regarding your wife, during the formation process online you should see an area where you can add "members" of the LLC. This is where your wife's information would go. You should have an operating agreement for the LLC created as well, which acts much like a partnership agreement, which will govern the business relationship between you and your wife with respect to the LLC. An operating agreement is best handled by an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">