• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Solicitation of Contributions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

I have a nonprofit registered in Florida and have a solicitation license in Florida.

I plan on soliciting funds on Facebook and other social media.

Does this mean I need a solicitation license in other states as well?

Solicitations.

What other states do you plan on operating in?
If it's on social media, then it would be in all 50 states by default. Also, it would technically be around the world.

As long as my PayPal donation links to a bank account of my Florida corporation, is my Florida solicitation license good enough?

Solicitation.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

This forum is only for US law.

I don't see the relevance.
So do YOU know the answer? If it's on FaceBook, then wouldn't I be soliciting people in 50 states?

Do YOU know what you're talking about?

Just Blue

So do YOU know the answer? If it's on FaceBook, then wouldn't I be soliciting people in 50 states?

Do YOU know what you're talking about?
If you have plans to take money from "the world" then perhaps you should consult with an attorney in your area that can help you. ;)

Blue:)

Px Hx

Wow.

Solicitations.

Let's simplify the question.

Could I legally accept a donation from an internet user in Georgia. I have my license in Florida.

Solicitation.

Does anyone know the answer? This is a law forum so I assume some of you have formal education in the matter. I know I can legally solicit in Florida. But if someone that lives in Georgia donates through my website or FaceBook, would I be soliciting illegally? In another case, what if someone from Rwanda donates? Do I need a solicitation license from every single place in the world?

Do you get what I'm saying? Does the Christopher Reeve Foundation have a solicitation license in all states in the United States as well as every country in the world because they have a web site and social media that is able to take donations from any where in the world?

Surely, someone should know the answer to this.

Am I actively soliciting if I just leave a FaceBook page for people to see? If I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about, then you must, right? It's not rocket science. It's a simple yes or no answer, and I'm hoping it's the one I want to hear.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does anyone know the answer? This is a law forum so I assume some of you have formal education in the matter. I know I can legally solicit in Florida. But if someone that lives in Georgia donates through my website or FaceBook, would I be soliciting illegally? In another case, what if someone from Rwanda donates? Do I need a solicitation license from every single place in the world?

Do you get what I'm saying? Does the Christopher Reeve Foundation have a solicitation license in all states in the United States as well as every country in the world because they have a web site and social media that is able to take donations from any where in the world?

Surely, someone should know the answer to this.

Am I actively soliciting if I just leave a FaceBook page for people to see? If I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about, then you must, right? It's not rocket science. It's a simple yes or no answer, and I'm hoping it's the one I want to hear.
Maybe - you should consult with an attorney who can review all of the facts relating to your business. You shouldn't rely on an anonymous internet forum.

FlyingRon

Not that just being registered as a non-profit doesn't mean your solicitations are tax exempt contributions. You need to be very careful about how you word things if you do not have 501(c)(3) status (or similar).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">