• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS disability and owning a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bedo

What is the name of your state? Tn. if a person is currently receiving permanent SS disability benefits, could he or she own, have partial ownership in a company or business. even if they do not help in the management/labor of said business? would this be like owning stock? trying to help a friend and didnt want to consult an attorney just yet. you guys will put it straight without trying to retain a fee.
thanks

ellencee

What is the name of your state? Tn. if a person is currently receiving permanent SS disability benefits, could he or she own, have partial ownership in a company or business. even if they do not help in the management/labor of said business? would this be like owning stock? trying to help a friend and didnt want to consult an attorney just yet. you guys will put it straight without trying to retain a fee.
thanks
If you earn an average of $560 per month, or whatever this year's allowance is, then you will be considered to have completed a trial work month and you get 9 trial work months in five year intervals. If you earn $800 per month, or whatever this year's allowance is, you are considered to have substantial earnings and trial work months also apply. If you use the Ticket to Work program, you can earn the same amounts in the previously stated scenarios but you can continue to receive about $350 per month for 5 years, regardless of your earnings and your medical condition/disability will not be reviewed during those 5 years.

Go to ssa.gov and read their information on earnings' effects on your disability benefits.

This thread should be in SS and Disability section of the forum. Feel free to delete your initial post, which will delete my response, and post again in the more appropriate section of the forum.

EC

msiron

In MA., My brother owns a corporation, a business for profit, (both he and his wife) a few years ago he became permanently disabled... quadruple amputee (lost both arms and legs) in a freak incident after working 28 years of his life. He was giving SS disability, about $2,400 per month, including $$$ for his children) and they could not take his business into consideration because it's a corp., as long as he is not working there.

What this means? Get a lawyer, he did. I was surprised myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">