• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting an Affiliate Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roottoor

I am in Texas, although this program will be available globally, due to the nature of the online business type. This affiliate program will be part of a business (the money generated from the program will go through a registered LLC), but will be given to a ministry (at this time we are not a 501c3, although at a certain point in the near future we hope to become such), save for that which will be required for costs including payroll, expenses and taxes.

No product will be sold, but rather membership to a site will be given, and those getting involved will be notified that their membership fee will be more a donation than a service. To explain that comment; since we are a global ministry, those getting in on our affiliate program will be doing so understanding their money will be more a donation than a product (the membership will give extra features throughout our website), but these 'donations' will be handled by a business since the affiliate program itself is for-profit while all of the profit will be given to our not-for-profit ministry (again, save for those which are needed to maintain the business, including taxes).

I know this may sound confusing, and if you like I will try to expound upon it if needed, but the simplicity of the whole thing is that a business will generate revenue to give to a ministry through an affiliate program which does not sell a product but a service. It will be clearly stated our purpose through the revenue, but since the nature of the program is for the furtherance of the ministry, and it is expected that those who would even consider getting involved in the program want to do so to further the ministry itself.

Wow, many words used to perhaps only repeat what was sad in different ways. What steps should I take to ensure this is setup and maintained legally, not only in my state, but also nationally and even globally? What resources should I be looking up?

JETX

What steps should I take to ensure this is setup and maintained legally, not only in my state, but also nationally and even globally? What resources should I be looking up?
First, you need to try to figure out what you are REALLY scheming... sorry, planning.... then go to a local attorney who can try to steer you away from your scheme.... er, plan.
:D

rachel44ggg

Advice

I think you must go according to your plan.If you have planned something or any want to take any decision just do that.If you are not finding any conform and steady way then take the help of law.

JETX

I think you must go according to your plan.If you have planned something or any want to take any decision just do that.If you are not finding any conform and steady way then take the help of law.
Wow... so English is NOT your primary language???

roottoor

First, you need to try to figure out what you are REALLY scheming... sorry, planning.... then go to a local attorney who can try to steer you away from your scheme.... er, plan.
:D
It's obvious you are biased, but please don't automatically judge something to be a scam without knowing a thing about the plan or the motives of my heart.

And the company is needed because a non-profit cannot partake of for-profit business. The company will have to pay taxes and other fees to remain legal, but it can also donate most of its revenue to the non-profit for a major tax break; but I am not sure what regulations the government might have if both the for-profit and non-profit are owned by the same individual.

And on a final note to my critic: the whole program will be managed by me, but under the direction and counsel of Christian business and church leaders which may or may not all have a relationship with me. This is to be done for the sake of morals; so go ahead a criticize, my intentions are right both socially and religiously.

Mass_Shyster

And the company is needed because a non-profit cannot partake of for-profit business.
Where is that written? It seems to me that many, if not most, non-profits engage in some kind of commerce. The Salvation Army sells used merchandise. Many hospitals are non-profits.

roottoor

Well, I base that statement on the limited knowledge I have, and I thought that non-profits couldn't engage in profitable business. I don't presume to have the complete knowledge to run such a business, which is a major reason for a leadership board to help with such matters; this is also why I am here asking about it, since I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for information, and I am not financially prepared to go to a lawyer just yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">