• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Crissy

PA - I'm thinking of starting a part-time business (evenings and weekends), running it out of the home: Dog Grooming. I will be the only employee and i will travel to the customers home and groom the pet there. How do i go about registering with the state and do i need some type of insurance?

T

Tracey

I think you should probably incorporate. You face all kinds of liability -- your van could cause an accident, a dog could jump off the grooming table & hang itself, some child could grab your scissors & be hurt, etc. If you incorporate, the corporation can buy a general liability insurance policy & pay the insurance on the van. This would protect your assets if something disasterous happens & you don't have anough insurance to cover it.

You can get self-help legal books on incorporating at the library. Pick one that covers all 50 states & includes forms. it will probably include state business license info. Then decide if you want to do it yourself or hire an attorney to do it for you.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">