• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a business (scenario)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ubnco

If I want to start an online (dot com) business, what do I need to do (if anything) in order to be able to legally use a company name (I dont want to form a corporation or anything.) Does this apply to things like Ebay stores, etc? I will run the company from Ohio, but all business will be done over the internet. Also, what naming restrictions are there (ie. cant use corporation, inc., ect in name)

Thank You,
ubnco

ubnco

Specifics

Specifically, I want to know if I can operate and online business using a business name (this name is not trademarked or registered by anyone or anything) without registering anything or filing any legal documents.

clueless3

If you don't want to incorporate or to form an LLC then you're basically a Sole Proprietor. A fictitious name filing with your County Clerk Office suffices. You might want to check with your City to see if they require a business license.

As far as naming goes, you cannot use "Corporation", "Incorporated", "Company", "Limited Partnership", "Bank", "Insurance", "Insurer", "Trust", "Trustee", or any of those abbreviations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">