• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a business and SSD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband has just recently been approved for SSD. He had 60% spinal cord damage and can not work and manage the pain and what not. Some friends have come over today asking about seeing if he could join a business adventure with them. They were going to look into grants and what not. We realize that this could and would affect his SSD payments and we're not really sure that this adventure would be worth it. Here are a few questions that we have.

1. Can he join into partnership with them and if qualified get the grants and yet until we know that this works still get his disability?

2. If he can't, can I?

3. If he/I can does anyone know what the limitations are?

4. If he can is there anyone who knows what grants he should look into that would be free of charge?

We are not trying to scam the government or anything here. This business is a simple card/arcade shop(Mage Knight, Warhammer, things of the sort) and we just don't want to risk losing his payments for something that we aren't sure will be profitable.We realize he would have to report any income he receives from this business but are sure that the first year or two that will be very little.

Thank you in advance for any responses!!

You can join in and it shouldn't affect his SSD payments at all.

I don't know how it would affect him becoming a partner, I don't think SSD is related to owning something, but if he is actually working, he might get in trouble? I can see your concern...

On the plus side, if the business is majority owned by women, you can get special loans from the small business administration. :)

For more information on this and other government assistance in start up, check out this website. http://www.sba.gov/

Good luck!

tigger22472

Thanks I'm really going to have to check into it and yes we've checked into grants. It would be probably my husband and another couple or if he can't, me and the other couple. We're checking to see who could get the best deal on the grants. This is something that we're interested in but just not willing to risk losing everything again for.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, I came, I read, I tried. No luck.

However, have you gone to your Social Security office? You know, they've got pamphlets on everything under the sun concerning benefits.

I know you'll get your answers there.

IAAL

tigger22472

Well, thank you very very much... He's going to call down to SSO tomorrow as well as his SS lawyer even though he may just be for appeal procedures... (PS.. that's the area you should be in.. his lawyer made a killing for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.. and I mean NOTHING). Thank you for taking the time to look.. I truly (almost put an e in there... heaven forbid I make a spelling error to you...:) ) do appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">