• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a Church

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisa128

What is the name of your state? NY

I want to start a church in New York, can some one tell me the process of doing this?

lisa128

Help, direction rather, is what I'm seeking here.

I would like to know which forms I should fill out to start a church. And where to file them.

HomeGuru

lisa128 said:
Help, direction rather, is what I'm seeking here.

I would like to know which forms I should fill out to start a church. And where to file them.

**A: until a new Pope gets elected, no new churches are to be started.

lisa128

I was checking on the irs website...

It seems that a church is automatically tax-exempt according to the IRS. (In their form 1023 the application for 501c3 status as well as in their pub 1828) In this case, to start a church is it necessary to form a corporation(a taxable business) then seek 501c3 status (tax exempt non-profit business)?

Can a church be started without even filing with the IRS?

Some Random Guy

Do you plan to collect donations from anyone? Do those people expect to be donating to a bona fide non-profit charity? Do you intend to ever open a bank account for the organization? Being a registered 501c3 has its advantages

lisa128

Well, donations are optional and the people will know that they are donating to a church. We would need a bank account to manage funds that would be used in a charitable manner (sending out free literature, evangelism, helping other Christians etc.)

What are the differences, advantages, disadvantages to a 501c3 corporation vs tyring to start a church without this piece of paper?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">