• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a financing/leasing business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gideon17

Hello everyone. I'm located in Columbus Ohio.

I've been considering a financing business for over a year now. It would take the form of a sole proprietorship and allow people to finance electronics and miscellaneous tools/equipment. I've hit a snag on the legal aspect of things however. To be as clear as possible I'll just give an example. Assume I get a customer who wants a game console that is $300. I would charge $50 for the fee of actually doing it for them, and the total of $350 (not including taxes) would be due in say, 5 months. My question is how much can I actually charge for financing things for people? And what type of legal documents should I use to enforce such an agreement? I believe a promissory note works for small loans but again, I have no idea if the same would work for a business like I'm wanting. And I definitely don't want to overstep any limits legally.

I sincerely appreciate your help, thanks everyone. =]

FlyingRon

You've got more issues than how much you can charge. Being such a lender in your state requires a LICENSE and compliance with all the related banking regulations. Ohio caps your interest rate at 8% annually

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">