• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a hotel.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

I want to start a hotel and call it the Luxury Inn. How do I make sure I won't be infringing on anyone's trademark?

For example, if I opened a restaurant called Burger King, I would get in trouble for that. Is there a place I can search?

justalayman

you can start here:

http://www.uspto.gov/

you should also search any state's trademark office where you intend on doing business.

You can also do things like a simple internet research where you might find the term used:

then given the expenditure involved it would be a great idea to actually hire an attorney that works in TM law and pay them to investigate this for you.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

I want to start a hotel and call it the Luxury Inn. How do I make sure I won't be infringing on anyone's trademark?

For example, if I opened a restaurant called Burger King, I would get in trouble for that. Is there a place I can search?
There are several "Luxury Inn" hotel/motels throughout the country. You might want to think of a unique name to identify your hotel so yours will stand out from all the rest - and to better eliminate the risk of infringing on another's rights.

It is important to note that a search of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and a search of state databases, will not uncover all of the names used as trademarks. Trademarks do not have to be registered to be offered protection.

I agree with justalayman that, before investing a lot of time and energy and money into a single name as an identifier for your proposed hotel, hiring an attorney or a trademark-search firm to assist would be smart.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">