• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a instructional website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

datlc

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, recently i just had an idea of starting an instructional website. My instructional videos have no audio of any kind, but i was wonder if it's against copyright law to add a song playing in the background because i would like to sell these videos batch in a dvd format but free to view on the website. Are there anything else i should be aware of before starting?

Thanks in advance.

CAdriver07

yes

You need permission to use someone else's music. You can lease it from them or whoever has legal control to do so. This is how random commercials and movies use popular songs. It can cost a lot of money.

You can create your own music or have someone else create it for you. Ask a lawyer about how to protect your own copyrights or how you buy the copyrights to an original music you hire someone else create.

FlyingRon

Cadriver is right. One additional option is that there are companies that will sell (license) to you music to use. Google for "royalty free music". This is very common. Used to do it all the time for commercials back when I was in that biz.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">