• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting an investment partnership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xandamere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am interested in starting an investment partnership (not a club). I have partners lined up who are interested in contributing money. I would like to structure it so that the partnership has a benchmark to compare performance to, and if the partnership exceeds that benchmark, I (as the partner who selects and manages the investments) get compensated by a percentage of the outperformance. For those familiar, it would be similar to the old investment partnerships of the 60's and 70's that Buffet and company used to run.

Trouble is, I'm not sure how to go about this...I've been looking online, but I haven't been able to find any information. Can I just have my attorney write up a limited partnership agreement, or are there other rules and regulations that govern this sort of partnership?

Thank you to anyone who reads this.

JETX

What you are asking for is legal SERVICE. This forum is set up to provide legal advice, not services.

As with any COMMERCIAL endeavor, you have to spend money to make money. If this is truly as viable as you believe, spend some money talking with a LOCAL attorney who can review ALL of the problems and challenges of your clearly complex issue. The money you spend now will be well spent and could save you 100's of times more in the future if you don't do this correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">