• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

starting new business while employed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

newbusiness

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am planning to start a business on the side while employed by my current employer.

My employers conduct guidelines I have signed state I can not work on my own business that competes with current products or any potential products.

Since my employer is very large enterprise corporation, "or any potential products" could be virtually anything.

Is there any general advise for this situation?
What I plan for the my company is not anything which my current employer offers, so how far reaching is "potential products" legally?

Also, is there any process or documentation I should follow to ensure I can prove the assets I develop for my company were done on my own personal time?

Thanks,

B

businessjustice

if the business you want to start is in any way shape or form in the same arena or scope of the job you do now...you can't do it.

N

newbusiness

businessjustice said:
if the business you want to start is in any way shape or form in the same arena or scope of the job you do now...you can't do it.
This is just as vague as the wording of the employee guidelines. You are saying such vague wording can literally prevent me from starting a business which currently does not compete?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">