• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting payroll... How does unemployment work??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gem68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

Ok... So my sister and I own a small tavern (father passed and now we own it). He always paid workers under the table (I know!!!) so that's why I'm here.

I have the I9 forms complete and on file, etc. I registered with the UC for the state, but my payroll system keeps asking for a Policy # for unemployment. I thought I just have to pay the quarterly unemployment taxes to the state? Are there actual policy #s involved?? I keep trying to call the toll free number but it's a long wait, and since I work full time I can't seem to get through on my half hour lunchbreak. Hoping one of you folks may know the ropes...

Thanks!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Ok... So my sister and I own a small tavern (father passed and now we own it). He always paid workers under the table (I know!!!) so that's why I'm here.

I have the I9 forms complete and on file, etc. I registered with the UC for the state, but my payroll system keeps asking for a Policy # for unemployment. I thought I just have to pay the quarterly unemployment taxes to the state? Are there actual policy #s involved?? I keep trying to call the toll free number but it's a long wait, and since I work full time I can't seem to get through on my half hour lunchbreak. Hoping one of you folks may know the ropes...

Thanks!!

Start here. Good luck with your business.

http://www.uc.pa.gov/portal/server.pt/community/registration/18210

ETA: Check this site out too (it's where the first site takes you): http://www.pabizonline.com/StartABusiness/Pages/default.aspx

commentator

You must have an unemployment tax account set up with the state of pa. Do no be dumb. This is important as any other state requirement. Do not make a petty excuse. This is one of your real necessities to have as a business. If you do not have an account and make quarterly reports to them you will be closed down real quick.

LdiJ

Thanks!!
I9's are not tax forms. I9's are eligibility to be employed forms. W-4's are tax forms. Your policy number is your UC account number.

gem68

Thanks y'all i DO have the W4s complete as well as the tax account set up with the state. It's just my payroll system (QuickBooks) keeps asking for a policy number to complete the set up which has me confused! The UC account didn't give me a policy number just an account with the printable form to send in our quarterly payments.

LdiJ

Thanks y'all i DO have the W4s complete as well as the tax account set up with the state. It's just my payroll system (QuickBooks) keeps asking for a policy number to complete the set up which has me confused! The UC account didn't give me a policy number just an account with the printable form to send in our quarterly payments.
Again, your UC account number is your policy number for QuickBooks purposes.

gem68

Thanks Ldi!! Sorry didn't see your post ;) I'll plug that in there to get the ball rolling..happy Friday!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">