• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a Security Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kstone

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

A couple of my co-workers and myself are thinking of starting a business in the industry in which we work. They say we have signed something that says we can't do that. I do not remember signing anything of the sorts because there was a lot of paperwork signed in the process of my hiring. I was wondering, is there any way our current employer can stop us from doing this. We have a very good chance of taking over the client we currently are working for if we go through with this. I just want to be prepared for anything our empolyer may throw at us.

Thanks in advance.

H

hexeliebe

yes, they can stop you from

this and it's called a non-compete clause in your original employment contract.

My suggestion is to ask your employer for a copy of all document in your employment file and the READ them carefully. Normally such a non-compete clause runs for one or more years after you leave your current employer so if your employment contract has such a clause then you're out of luck.

K

kstone

Okay, I have done some research on this non-compete clause/agreement and have found that the company for whom I work may not be able to enforce it. The reginal office is over 30 miles away and if they enforced that clause then NO ONE would be able to start a business in this field. I predict that a judge would throw it out. Also, for the most part I have read that this agreement pertains to working for a competitor, not starting a business. Although I'm sure it could apply. I would like to thank you for the reply. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">