• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting Up ?'s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B.Santiago

What is the name of your state? MA

Greetings, My partner and myself are looking to start a music/artist management company and we obviously want to be correct on the books. We want to do the following under the business name-
(a) Open a checking account
(b) Hire 2 employees ( for the time being)
(c) Purchase and insure 2 vehicles
(d) Build a business line of credit

We are taking the first step in trademarking our name and logo. I just need to know how to accomplish these four things i know the obvious such as go to bank and open account but what steps insure i will have all necessary forms and info. And also a rough estimate of how much money will be needed to trademark name register company and time frame for completion. Also which type of company would i file for. And if we were to open to offices in different states what would happen in that case.

Thank-You for your time and i appreciate any response and i know it is alot of questions but thank-you for your help

clueless3

1. Decide what entiry you want to have: LLC? C Corp? This is the most critical decision. What kind of "employees" do you have? W-2? 1099? If you have W-2 employees and plan to offer health insurance to them, go with the C Corp. Else you can go with an LLC.

2. Filing an LLC with MA is about $500. Expedited filing costs more but saves a lot of time. In many states you can have 24-hr turnaround.

3. Do you plan to "trademark" your company name in your state only? or go federally? If you plan to trademark the name nationwide, file it with the US Patent & Trademark Office. Else contact your state for the trademark.

4. If you plan to open offices in other states, you need to file for a Foreign entity in each of those states.

It sounds like you plan to go big. I would consult a good CPA and a good lawyer (or a number of lawyers in different fields). Good luck.

B.Santiago

Thank-You

First off thank-you for the response, greatly appreciated.

Second yes like any business we plan to go big we have a few funders and many clients so seems like it is time to take it to the next level (well we actually did the reverse should have done this a long time ago lol)

Third we do plan to meet with lawyers and such however we were just trying to do as mush as posssible without hassle before contacting a lawyer...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">