• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a very small non-profit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Ukobackfire

CALIFORNIA

Hello,

I have a questions concerning the creating and running of a very small non-profit organization.

My friends (4) and I run a website http://www.individualswithoutborders.org as an organization dedicated to bringing support to travelers. We run all our operations on the internet, and the closest thing we have to an office is my living room.

The website/organization will bring in about $200-$4,000 annually, through paypal donations, internet corporate affiliate programs, and non-pop-up advertising.

Financially, my friends and I spend our own money to keep everything running, and use the donations/affiliates/ad money to reimburse our-self for the money we spend.

Here is my questions:

1. Do I need to register my organization (if you could call it that) with the state to call myself an non-profit, informal non-profit or not for profit organization and would doing so on the website be considered illegal since we are not a registered non-profit?
2. Could I accept donations and then put the money into my own bank account to reimburse myself without any special reporting to the government (assuming I report the earning as income)?
3. How much money could the website bring in before I would be forced to register it with the IRS and state?
4. Are their any rules about what I can use the small ($50) donations for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">