• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Universities and Religious Sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paperman299

Would a store within a state university, whose profits benefit the university directly, be able to sell religious items? Any source for more information anyone could point out on the subject would be helpful. Thanks!

quincy

Would a store within a state university, whose profits benefit the university directly, be able to sell religious items? Any source for more information anyone could point out on the subject would be helpful. Thanks!
What is the name of your state, Paperman299?

A simple answer to your question is "it depends."

There is an excellent overview of religion and its place in public schools presented by the Center for Public Education, an initiative of the National School Boards Association. You can access this overview through the following link: http://www.centerforpubliceducation.org/Main-Menu/Public-education/The-law-and-its-influence-on-public-school-districts-An-overview/Religion-and-Public-Schools.html

Last edited:

quincy

Thank you both for your interest.

I go to school in Oklahoma. My university runs a bookstore for buying class texts, although it is also a sort of school-branding department store. It also sells clothes, school supplies, electronics, etc. All profits directly benefit the university.

Recently (in the last six months), they have started a small section for selling Christian jewelry. These are items such as cross earrings and necklaces, some branded with the university's initials.

What do you think? Any other info that would be helpful?
The sale of Christian jewelry can become a problem if someone sees it as a problem. I would think that clearly-Christian items branded with the school's initials might eventually be challenged.

Do you, personally, have a problem with the sale of these items, or are you just curious about the legal issues that could arise from the sale of these items in a public school setting?

CdwJava

Many (most?) campus stores are actually private businesses that have entered into a contract with the school. They may be permitted to sell items on consignment, they may be part of general jewelry or other sundry items available through their distributors, etc.

I have seen religious themed items for sale at some state university bookstores here, though it has been quite some time since I have been inside of one and paid attention to what they had for sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">