• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fcobarr

What is the name of your state? NJ

Is there a statute of limitations regarding being sued by a previous employer for opening a competing business? I am not afraid of it, I am not doing anything wrong. However, I have heard rumors of a possible "inconvenience suit". For reference, it's been over 2 yrs since I left. I assume they would try to allege customer lists, designs, etc. It would all be baseless, but in an effort to get me to spend my money on fighting them, they may think they can drive me out of business. It's just not a good use of my time or money, so I'm wondering if there is a statute regarding some type of a limit for them to file suit. Thanks for your help.

paperson

Did you sign a non-compete agreement by chance with your previous employer?

Have you been in contact with any of your previous employer's customers since you have started your business? (Basically have you lured any over to your business)

How close are the businesses located from each other, as well as target markets?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">