• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock Trader

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AJJ008

What is the name of your state? Michigan

What are the ramifications in frequent buying and selling of stocks other than the risk it imposes?

FlyingRon

Is there a legal question here?

In the gambling field there is a concept called the rake or vig. Essentially, the house exacts a profit from the play over the odds. Day trading gives you some of the worst vig in that:

1. The vig is usually per transaction, lots of transactions per dollar won means less money to you.

2. Money won on bets running less than a year is short term gain and taxable as regular income (typically in the 28% range) rather than long term capital gain (15%).

I do better at poker.

AJJ008

Flying Ron I appreciate your analogy. Now, as I make short term money buying and selling do I need to pay estimated taxes for federal, state, and social security tax similar to payroll taxes.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Flying Ron I appreciate your analogy. Now, as I make short term money buying and selling do I need to pay estimated taxes for federal, state, and social security tax similar to payroll taxes.
Look here for information (follow the links within it)
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html

Yes you need to pay estimated taxes (you get a forgiveness on this if you pay at least
90% of the tax in the estimated payment, or 100% of what you owed last year).
See here:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=110413,00.html

You do not owe the self employement (social security/medicare) on this money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">