• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subsidiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

telecom_prog

Hi, I'm Tim from Virginia.

I have an S corp and I would like to offer a new service under a different name, a subsidiary.

I do not want to start a new company just for this additional service that I would like to offer, but I unfamiliar with how subsidiaries work.

Do I need to register the subsidiary with anybody or can I just use it like ... xyz, a subsidiary of bla bla?

Thanks,
Tim

H

hexeliebe

I do not want to start a new company
Then you won't get a subsidiary. A subsidiary is a company that is owned by another company, usually 100% owned.

Another problem you're going to run into is that if the subsidiary is ever sued, as owner your s corporation will also be sued.

Why don't you want to offer this service through your existing company?

T

telecom_prog

Thanks for the post, it all has to do with the name of my company.

My company name is Telecomprogramming Inc. The new service I want to offer is network support, PC maintenance, general office wide computer support. So since my company name doesn't reflect this service very well I thought that a subsidiary would be the way to go.

Is there an alternative to this?

Thanks,
Tim

H

hexeliebe

Sure there is and it's a very simple one. Change the name of the company to reflect the new additional services.

Then you'll have an advertising hook built in.

T

telecom_prog

I never thought of that, great suggestion.

Thank you very much,
Tim

H

hexeliebe

sometimes the hardest decisions are the one that bit you in the ass last week and never let go.

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">