• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

supervision vs direct supervision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cindyrn

What is the difference between supervision and direct supervision? I ask because these phrases are written in the Oklahoma HB1872 concerning the practice of medical micropigmentation. I am a RN in the state of Oklahoma and wish to practice micropigmentation in a beauty salon setting.
The Law states that I must be "under supervision of an MD...". The next paragraph (concerning non RN's) states under "the direct supervision." Does this mean I just need to be affiliated with a doctor or does this mean I must work out of his office/clinic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T

Tracey

Both terms will have to be defined in the bill. Definitions are usually in the first section of an act/article. Double check the bill number - I couldn't find any laws/bills regarding micropigmentation.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

C

cindyrn

Tracey, what I am looking at is "full text for house bill 1872." In section 1 it states "a new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 841.5 of Title 21."
The words "supervision" and "direct supervision" are not defined in the text.
I had e-mailed Gov. Frank Keating's office these questions for clarification, but was only sent another copy of the HB1872.
Thanks again for your time. Cindy

T

Tracey

This was the best I could find. USUALLY, a legislature tries to use statutory terms the same way throughout the code. However, I don't know if the same definitions will be applied to tatoo artists. I had to pull the definition from 2 different professions' definitions. It appears that someone who is "supervised" gets to make their own decisions, with the supervisor being ultimately responsible. Directly supervised people just do what they're told to by the supervisor.

Title 59. Professions and Occupations
Chapter 11
Physician Assistant Act
§519.2. Terms Defined.

As used in the Physician Assistant Act:

8. "Supervising physician" means an individual holding a license as a physician from the State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision or the State Board of Osteopathic Examiners, who supervises physician assistants; and

9. "Supervision" means overseeing and accepting the responsibility for the health care services performed by a physician assistant.

=======================
Chapter 15
Oklahoma Veterinary Practice Act
§698.2. Definitions.

As used in the Oklahoma Veterinary Practice Act:

7. "Direct supervision" means:

a. directions have been given to a veterinary technician, nurse, laboratory technician, intern, veterinary assistant or other employee for medical care following the examination of an animal by the licensed veterinarian responsible for the professional care of the animal, or

b. that, under certain circumstances following the examination of an animal by a licensed veterinarian responsible for the professional care of the animal, the presence of the licensed veterinarian on the premises in an animal hospital setting or in the same general area in a range setting is required after directions have been given to a veterinarian who has a certificate issued pursuant to Section 698.8 of this title;

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited June 11, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">