• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking current employers business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

evilmoose

What is the name of your state? Nebraska
My partners and I have been working on starting a new business. We all work at the same buisness and would be starting our buisness doing what we are doing now. In order to get financing we have had some of our current clients sign a letter of intent to switch to us once operational.
My question is none of us have signed any type of covenant agreement and none of the clients are under contract, are ther any legal ramifications for this. I have recently heard there may be, but I dont know if I should trust the source.

C

chrissie

Your employer may have grounds to sue for "stolen business opportunities" as some states have statutes related to this on the books. Agreements notwithstanding, it doesn't sound like what you did was very ethical (I'm sure you won't want your future employees doing the same with your clients), and you didn't do yourselves any favors by leaving a paper trail, either.

BelizeBreeze

My question is none of us have signed any type of covenant agreement and none of the clients are under contract, are ther any legal ramifications for this.
Tortious interference with a business relationship.

JETX

evilmoose said:
In order to get financing we have had some of our current clients sign a letter of intent to switch to us once operational.
If you are saying that you have contacted your EMPLOYERS current customers in an attempt (successful or not) in steering them to be YOUR customers when you leave, I would suggest you start interviewing attorneys. Your current employer could decide to sue you for 'tortious/wrongful interference', among other charges (theft of secrets in using his customer list, etc.). Looks to me like your new business will be doomed before it starts.... brought down by excessive legal fees and, very likely, judgments against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">